Why the iPhone 15 is better than the iPhone 14

Melinda Mei
An iPhone 14 [left] in comparison to an iPhone 15 [right]. The colors and outward design vary slightly for the two iPhones.

The base model iPhone 15 introduced in September 2023 is actually a big improvement from the base model iPhone 14 that was introduced in September 2022. The iPhone 15 is easily the best base model iPhone Apple has introduced for the past four years. Of course, every iPhone introduced each year will have some sort of improvement from the previous model, because if they didn’t, who would want to buy the new iPhone? Each year since September 2020 when the iPhone 12 lineup was released, everyone always says “It’s literally the same iPhone they made from last year, I can’t even tell the difference.” I am tired of hearing people make all those statements when they haven’t even researched the facts yet. People only see the hardware and design of the iPhone and just assume it’s all the same, no one looks at the internal parts of the iPhone. So that’s why I am here writing this, I want to inform people on the big improvements Apple has made from the iPhone 14 to the iPhone 15.

The design of the iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 are relatively different. The iPhone 14 has flat edges and a glossy glass back, the colors the iPhone is offered in are bright shades. On the other hand, the iPhone 15 has curved edges and a matte glass back, which Apple likes to call the color-infused glass back. Also, the iPhone 15 is offered in colors that are in pastel shades.

The screens on the iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 are different. The screen on the iPhone 14 has a max brightness of 1200 nits, the same notch design that was on all the iPhones in the iPhone 13 lineup, and a 2532-by-1170-pixel resolution at 460 pixels per inch.

On the other hand, the screen on the iPhone 15 has a max brightness of 2000 nits and the dynamic island which replaces the notch that every top of the line iPhone has had since the iPhone X, with minor tweeks of it being smaller on all the iPhones in the iPhone 13 lineup. The dynamic island is a pill-shaped cut out on the screen at the top of the iPhone to replace the classic notch. The dynamic island includes the front-facing camera, FaceID sensors, and a proximity sensor. Additionally, the iPhone 15 has a slightly better pixel resolution at 2556-by-1179-pixel resolution at 460 pixels per inch.

The iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 cameras are very different. The iPhone 14 has two rear cameras, a wide lens and an ultra wide lens. Both of the rear cameras have a 12 megapixel resolution with 0.5x and 1x zooms. On the other hand, the iPhone 15 has two rear cameras, a wide lens and an ultra wide lens. The wide lens camera has a 48 megapixel resolution and the ultra wide lens camera has a 12 megapixel resolution. Also, it has 0.5x, 1x and 2x zooms.

The processor on the iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 are different. The iPhone 14 has the A15 Bionic Chip, a chip that was first introduced on the entire iPhone 13 lineup; which includes the iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Mini, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max. On the other hand, the iPhone 15 has the A16 Bionic Chip, a chip that was first introduced only on the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max models that were released last year. Both the processors on the iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 have a 6-core CPU and 5-core CPU with a 16-core Neural Engine. However, the A16 Bionic Chip is more efficient, it increases the performance while consuming 20% less power.

Overall, the iPhone 15 is a big improvement compared to the iPhone 14. Also, the iPhone 15 is the best base model iPhone that Apple has ever released. The design, screen, camera, and processor on the iPhone 15 is much better than the iPhone 14. If you are on the fence of deciding if you want to buy the iPhone 14 or iPhone 15, then go buy the iPhone 15.

View Comments (2)
$840
$1000