High School Democrats of America makes its way to Huron

Juniors Zara Lin and Maya Martinson are excited to co-found the Huron chapter of the Michigan High School Democrats of America. 

The High School Democrats of America (HSDA) is a national organization that serves as an “entry point to Democratic politics for youth activists from across the country” according to the organization’s website.

Zara Lin discovered the HSDA on Instagram and found inspiration in its efforts to promote youth political engagement. 

“I’m more of a STEM person,” Lin said. “But issues like feminism and equality translate to any field.”

Lin invited Maya Martinson to co-found their Huron chapter. 

Martinson’s interest in law and politics was influenced by her father’s commitment to civic involvement. He regularly reads and shares news with his family.

“Everyday, every morning, he takes the time to figure out what’s going on,” Martinson said. “What is he going to vote for in the next coming election? Who is passing what laws?”

Lin and Martinson look forward to encouraging voter engagement and fostering discussions on legal and political issues with their Huron chapter. 

“I love having something where we can talk about democratism and politics to everyone who wants to understand more about it,” Martinson said. “If I had something like this freshman year, I would have been so much more involved in politics.”

Students interested in joining the mailing list can contact Zara Lin at [email protected] and Maya Martinson at [email protected].