Freshman Friday: Teiyu Kim

Kim+plays+tennis+and+trombone.+

Kim plays tennis and trombone.

Daniel S. Lee, Staff writer

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: I’m Teiyu Kim, and I’m 15 years old. I went to King, then Clague, and now I’m here. I play trombone and tennis at Huron. I like to sleep and play music in my free time.

Q: How would you describe your transition from middle to high school?

A: My transition from middle school to high school was alright. Academically it was a bit tough, but socially I think it worked out very well. 

Q: What class is the most interesting so far and why?

A: Most interesting class for me so far would probably be band. First of all we don’t have to sit at a desk with papers for an hour so that’s nice, but also because of the nature of the class, there’s people from all different social groups and grades which has helped me meet new people.

Q: What are 3 words to describe your first months of high school and why?

A: Fast, fun, and tiring. Fast, because the year is basically over at this point, but it feels like it’s only been a few months. Fun, because the experiences I’ve had in high school have been so much more fun than most of my life so far. Tiring, because I’ve slept through at least 1 class every day this year.

Q: How has high school surprised you so far? Were there any skills you had to learn to get work done or fit school into your schedule?

A: The level of work surprised me. It is a lot more than middle school, but not as much as I expected. However, my time-management skills are so horrid that it’s still stressful. I have had to learn about setting a studying schedule and learn how to take power naps.

Q: How do you want to remember your high school experience four years later? What are you doing now or how do you plan to make that happen? 

A: I want to remember high school as fulfilling. I don’t want to waste 4 years of my childhood, so I’ll do everything that I want and can do. This applies to academics and my social life. This means that if I find a hobby that interests me, I’ll pursue it. If there’s a class I want to take, I’ll take it and try my best.