March Is Reading Month at Huron

For+the+month+of+March%2C+Huron+has+been+participating+in+March+is+Reading+Month.+

Grace Johnson

For the month of March, Huron has been participating in March is Reading Month.

Grace Johnson, Staff Writer

This month, the Huron High School library is celebrating Reading Month. All of March, the media center is encouraging reading throughout the Huron community. 

“[Reading Month] is an opportunity to highlight and point out to people the importance of reading,” Huron librarian Lauren Warren said. 

Originally Reading Month was established around Dr. Seuss’s birthday, March 2, according to the Detroit Public Library. Now, libraries around the world use this month to promote reading. 

At Huron, the library is running a March Madness event in which a bracket of books, set up like a March Madness basketball bracket, determines a top book determined by Huron students. 

“We are doing our March Madness event in which we pit books against each other and students vote on them,” Warren said. “It goes through the whole month.” 

There is a display case that shows what books are currently winning by the library. To fill out a bracket and vote on books, go to the library. In addition, teachers can get posters from the library to hang on their doors. These posters have spaces for teachers to fill in what they are currently reading. This March, help the library celebrate Reading Month!