Sophomore Saturday: Iris Gong

Gong in New York City.

Maya Fu, Website Editor

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: I’m Iris, I play volleyball in the fall for the JV team, and I also play lacrosse and club volleyball during the winter. 

Q: How is this year’s learning different from last years?

A:  This year’s workload is definitely heavier compared to freshman year because I’m taking more rigorous classes like APUSH.

Q: Which classes have you found the most interesting and why?

A:  I found AP Bio the most interesting because I’m genuinely interested in the course material, and I think all of the units, despite being challenging, are all very intriguing.  

Q: Describe something that surprised you coming back to school this year that you weren’t expecting?

A: I didn’t expect to meet so many new people the first few days of coming back this year, since last year, I had classes with mostly freshmen. This year, I was able to meet a lot of juniors and seniors I hadn’t known before. 

Q: What are your thoughts about personal project? What were some challenges you have faced so far? What are you working on?

A: For my personal project, I painted a landscape painting and also designed a gallery style webpage to display the painting. I thought it was a fun opportunity for me to spend more time on a hobby I had, and since it counted as a class in school, I had a reason to set aside time for painting, which I hadn’t had time for before. A challenge I faced is definitely time management and staying focused since I had to sit in front of a canvas for hours at a time so my paints didn’t dry out. I’m excited for the exhibition tonight!