Teacher Tuesday: Lauren Kuta

Courtesy of Kuta

My family and I at the University of Michigan campus playing in the leaves!

Kendrick Morning, Staff Writer

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: I am new(ish) to the Ann Arbor area. I moved here from St Clair Shores last school year to finish up my degree at U.M. I really enjoy being outside when the weather is nice. I love swimming and going for long walks in the woods. My mother-in-law lives on a lake, so I also get to do quite a bit of kayaking during the summer.

Q: What do you teach and why?

A: I teach English Language Arts and Academic Literacy. I love writing, and the conversations that can happen when diving into a good novel.

Q: Have you always been interested in teaching?

A: I think I always knew I would be a teacher, it just took me a while to figure myself out. 

Q: What/who inspired you to become a teacher?

A: I had incredible ELA teachers who believed in me even when I didn’t necessarily believe in myself. Ms Narkus, Mr Litaker, and Mrs Schubert were my anchor adults in high school, and I am so thankful for their dedication to teaching and guiding me on the right path.

Q: What do you do in your free time?

A:  I enjoy thrifting, trying out new restaurants, and watching movies with popcorn on the couch with my kids! I also love reading and being crafty.

Q: What is one motto you will always live by?

A: Always stay curious. Keep learning and growing.

Q: What is your favorite teaching moment?

A: I LOVE hearing students make connections to what we are doing in class. Hearing them make connections to things that are happening in their own lives or the world around them – – it’s the best!

Q: What surprised you about this year? 

A: I was pretty nervous starting on a Wednesday in December, but my students have been amazing and so welcoming!