Huron Men’s Basketball narrowly defeats Canton to remain undefeated

Sophomore Macari Moore is having a phenominal season- with 22 points in Huron’s win against Canton on Thursday, December 22.

Zach Phelps, Staff Writer

Huron Men’s Varsity basketball kept their spotless undefeated record in a somewhat unimpressive 51-46 win over Canton. This was Huron’s lowest-scoring effort of the season to this point, but it got the job done nonetheless. The Rats held a consistent 5-10 point lead for the entirety of this game, and it was all they needed. Sophomore forward Macari Moore continued to dominate, scoring 22 points and accounting for much of the Rats’ production on offense. It was far from pretty, but at the end of the day, a win is a win for Coach Mo Kasham’s team.

Struggles in the half court:

Huron couldn’t get much going in the half-court offense whatsoever. The rats scored most of their points in iso situations with Moore, or from the free-throw line. The stagnant offense came to a head in Huron’s seven-point third quarter. Senior TJ Bell, Junior Jackson Keefer and Junior Justin Latham each made three-pointers, of the few that Huron attempted. In the limited times Huron was able to get out in transition, it had success breaking Canton’s press and turning it into layups and fouls to get to the free-throw line. The half-court offense has to be better going forward, but it’s a positive sign that Huron was able to pick up a win on its worst scoring effort of the season. Notably, Senior guard Braylon Dickerson did not play in this game, which could possibly explain some of the struggles on offense.

Mac, Mac, Mac:

Macari Moore was simply brilliant in this game. His eleven point second quarter helped Huron build–and maintain–a lead after only being up two at the start of the quarter. Moore didn’t go to the bench once against Canton, and Huron needed every bit of his 22 point performance. Moore is a dynamite iso player, his combination of strength and athleticism make him extremely difficult to defend for both guards and bigs. Moore is an excellent finisher around the rim, both strength and finesse wise. Although not the biggest, Moore is a force driving to the basket, consistently drawing fouls and getting to the charity stripe. Moore will continue to be this team’s number one go-to offensive option and look forward to similar scoring performances going forward.

Stout perimeter D:

What came with the lowest offensive point total of the season, was the least amount of points allowed from Huron on the defensive side of the equation. Huron allowed a combined 13 points in the second and third quarters, switching between a 2-3 zone and man-to-man defense, having success with both but playing mostly man-to-man. The chiefs had no success shooting from the outside and little success anywhere else. Bell, Latham, Keefer, Moore, Junior guards Kaleb Brown and Cristian Brown all played excellent defense on the perimeter without Dickerson in uniform. Huron has multiple guys it can go to off the bench when it needs a defensive spark, which will become more and more useful as the Rats get deeper into conference play.

Huron’s (6-0) next game comes against North Farmington (4-0) on Wednesday Dec 28th in the North Farmington Holiday Extravaganza in Farmington Hills.