Teacher Tuesday: Phelan Johnson

Johnson posing for photo.

Courtesy of Johnson

Johnson posing for photo.

Jason Hawk

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: “Although I don’t have much time for hobbies with my schedule right now, I enjoy crocheting when I get the chance and baking desserts.”

Q: What do you teach and why?

A: “I teach English language arts. I have always loved this subject in school because it spans so many different topics and genres, and it is also a more creative discipline compared to subjects such as math or physics.”

Q: Have you always been interested in teaching?

A: “Not always; I originally wanted to be a writer, and then I considered becoming a professor. My teaching is a way for me to move towards both of these goals.”

Q: What/who inspired you to become a teacher?

A: “My high school English teacher inspired me to go into teaching. I took this teacher’s classes every single year and was always a part of his after-school poetry workshop. He was so clearly passionate about literature that it made me excited to learn each day. My goal for my future is to make my students excited to learn in the way this teacher did for me.”

Q: What do you do in your free time?

A: “My free time is extremely limited this year, so whenever I get it, I usually sleep, watch YouTube or TV, or listen to podcasts.”

Q: What is one motto you will always live by?

A: “It is what it is.”

Q: What is your favorite teaching moment?

A: “My favorite teacher moment is when I had my first mini-lesson at the beginning of the year, and I did a “get-to-know-you” bingo board for the classes. At the end of the first class, somebody came up to me and thanked me, saying that the activity was really fun. This made me feel so appreciated as a teacher.”

Q: What surprised you about this year? 

A: “Although we aren’t very much into the school year, I can say that it certainly has been much more fun than I ever expected. I truly feel love for every student who walks into our classroom and wants so badly to help them succeed.”