AAPS closes Dec. 3 due to potential violent social media threats following Oxford High School tragedy

Ridhima L. Kodali

AAPS will be expected to return back to school on Monday, Dec. 6

Ridhima L. Kodali, Managing Editor

At 8:52 p.m., superintendent Jeanice Swift sent an email communicating that tomorrow, Dec. 3, there will be no school due to reports of (potential) violent threats circulating on social media platforms. 

AAPS made this decision as an abundance of caution and preventionary measure following the Oxford High School shooting on Nov. 30.

As of now, these posts have not been determined as credible and the safety of staff and students remains AAPS’ top priority. 

“The volume is quite high,” Swift wrote. “Closing schools will allow school administrators and law enforcement an opportunity to complete investigation of all reported concerns. It will also allow us to reset our AAPS learning environments that were significantly impacted today by rumors and concerns stemming from social media chatter.”

Today at Huron, many of these rumors circulated causing principal Ché Carter to send an email addressing the concerns following the walkout for Oxford High School. 

“I hope the investigation discovers that there was never a gun violence threat,” junior Varshini Kashyap said. “It’s really disappointing either way—whether someone wanted to harm people in that capacity or if someone made up a rumor to get school cancelled. I’m grateful that AAPS is taking this issue seriously to keep us all safe.”

Swift urged parents to speak with their children about the seriousness of making or sharing threats. 

“Law enforcement and school leaders will investigate every threat and take whatever action is warranted to protect our students and community,” Swift wrote. “Up to and including prosecution for those responsible.”

In fact, AAPS is working with the Ann Arbor Police Department, Washtenaw County Sheriff, University of Michigan Division of Public Safety for community safety, and the FBI is investigating the social media concerns. 

“This safety support work continues literally around the clock,” Swift wrote. We understand the very real pressure and fear that many students are feeling and know that our parents and staff are equally concerned. We also understand the priority of attending school every day when we can safely do so; we want our students and staff learning together in our AAPS classrooms. We remain committed to our relationship with local law enforcement, who take every report or rumor seriously and investigate immediately so that we can safely convene school.”

For reporting any concerns contact Huron’s school administrators or [email protected] 

Stay tuned for more reporting about the walkout at Huron