Parking lot rumors cleared up

Students found administration in the parking lot on Nov. 9. It was administrations goal to clarify the already existing rules of the parking lot.

Lydia Hargett

Lydia Hargett, News Editor

On Tuesday, Nov. 9 students were confused as to why Huron staff were outside blocking the parking lot, preventing students from leaving campus during class. Throughout the school day, many students with free hours or online classes usually leave campus and go grab coffee or food, but now staff is enforcing the rules which have been in place for a long time.

“Students should be in the building from second to sixth hour,” Assistant Principal Michael Sumerton said.  During free hours or online classes, they should report to the library. We have been letting students social distance in their cars during lunch, the district policy is that students need approval from administration to go to their car during the school day.”

Students showed their frustration by posting about the patrolling and ‘new rules’ on social media, and rumors were spread regarding new cameras in the junior parking lot and the chance of cars being towed. 

Both of which were false. 

“Zero cars were towed yesterday,” Sumerton said. “We would send communications to families prior to any towing, we also issue a warning to cars and would tow on the second offense.  We do not like to tow as we know it is expensive and would be a burden to families.” 

There are two parking lots designated for students to park in, the senior lot and the junior lot also known as the dirt lot. Many students have been parking in the athletic lot and in staff parking lots. 

“Our goal is to keep students safe.  Helping limit access to potentially dangerous items and non Huron students during the school day is one way we do that,” Sumerton said. “We appreciate all the families and students who are helping us transform Huron into the best school in the country.”

For a full list of rules regarding parking permits at Huron, visit this link: https://www.a2schools.org/domain/1613.