Meet Camellia Sakamoto

Aubrey Velez, Guest Writer

In second grade, Camellia Sakamoto picked up a flute for the first time, with fingers stretching to reach the keys she fell in love with the sound and has been playing ever since. The now high school senior with a love of music and nature has worked to cultivate this talent.

“It was hard being myself and how young I was. I really hated having the routine practice and lessons for the first few years, but I never gave up,” Sakamoto said.  “But now I certainly enjoy it a lot more and that motivates me.”

Though Sakamoto doesn’t come from a particularly musical family, that didn’t stop her connection to the music she plays.

“What I love about playing the flute is it kind of transfers me into a completely different mode, where all I can focus on is the music,” Sakamoto stated. “Although it took me a long time to realize, it really clears my mind and I rely on it for that.”

Outside of music, Sakamoto’s time seems to be consumed by drawing and spending time in nature. She spoke highly of the nature center by her house.

“It has a nice energy,” Sakamoto said.

Sakamoto spoke of the walks she would take through it on her route home from school, a route she no longer takes with switching completely online. Like many students, Sakamoto has mixed feelings about the current learning situation.

“In some ways it’s easier because it’s a slower pace and you can like work from your bed,” Sakamoto admitted. “But in some ways it’s harder because you’re not as motivated and it’s not the best learning environment.”

Though this isn’t an ideal way to start out the school year, that doesn’t necessarily reflect Sakamoto’s entire high school career.

“Huron was a pretty good school,” Sakamoto said thoughtfully. “I got a lot accomplished but I was stressed out a lot.”

When asked about her hobbies, Sakamoto mentioned the flute again. Years of practicing with the instrument has brought along some musicians that Sakamoto admires. 

“Recently I’ve been watching performances and masterclasses with a Flutist named Emmanuel Pahud,” Sakamoto said. “He has some really great advice that is helping me a lot.”

While music doesn’t seem like something Sakamoto will professionally focus on in the future, she without a doubt will keep it as a pastime.

“Yes, I know I will play it at least as a hobby,” Sakamoto concurred. “I’m not majoring in music so I’m unfortunately probably not going to play in any major college orchestra or band, but who knows?”