Teacher Tuesday: Ms. Palermo

Mrs.+Palermo+%28right%29+with+her+family.+

Courtesy of Mrs. Palermo

Mrs. Palermo (right) with her family.

Nancy Shevtsova, Staff Writer

Courtesy of Mrs. Palermo
Mathematics teacher Mrs. Palermo in her classroom.

Q: What do you teach and why? 

A: “I teach math because I have always loved math, even from a very young age.  I used to think that I wanted to choose engineering as a career path, but ultimately decided that a teacher would be the perfect career for me because I have always loved school.” 

Q: If you could teach any other subject, what would it be? 

A: I am also certified to teach Spanish, so probably Spanish. If I could ‘start over,’ I would probably also become certified in Physical Education. Running and yoga are some of my favorite activities.”

Q: Describe your high school experience. 

A: I enjoyed high school a lot, but I have to admit that I liked college better.  I went from a small eighth-grade class to a big high school, so it took some adjusting.  I played soccer all 4 years, and participated in other sports for parts of my high school experience.  I was one of those high school kids who didn’t settle for less than an “A,” and I probably stressed myself out in this area more than I needed to.  If I could do that over again, I would relax a little on the grade requirements that I had for myself.” 

Q: What would you recommend to incoming high school freshmen?” 

A: Become involved in activities, but not too many.  Focus on the things that are important to YOU; everyone has a passion, you just have to find it, and ultimately choose a career that involves your passion.”

Q: What do you do in your free time? 

A: I like to go for outdoor runs, play anything with my girls (their current favorites are princesses and board games), cook and go out to eat with my husband, go up north and to Lake Michigan with my family, read books, and play on Pinterest.”

Q: Who is a role model for you? 

A: My mom and dad.  I can’t imagine more selfless parents, and they mean the world to me.  They have always encouraged me to pursue my passions, and have been there every step of the way.  I can believe how much they still “take care” of me, without even knowing it.  My daily phone conversations with them are some of my favorite parts of the day.”

Q: How do you keep yourself motivated and not boring during the quarantine?

A: I actually haven’t been bored at all, although of course I miss my students and co-workers.  I have been spending a lot of time jumping on the trampoline with my girls, working on reading the pile of books that’s been sitting on my shelf for years, taking up watching new TV series with my husband, and of course, switching to teaching online.”