Junior Jumpstart Monday: Verena Wu

Kaitlyn Sabb, Business Manager

Courtesy of Verena Wu
Junior Verena Wu participates in many activities including soccer, orchestra, green team, and more.

Q: What is the hardest thing about this year? Why?

A: The hardest thing about this year has been AP Chemistry because there are a lot of concepts that you have to understand and it they all connect, so if you’re not super stable in one topic, you can struggle in another. Also, having to start thinking about where I want to go to college and study is hard because it’s a huge decision and there are a lot of different options.”

Courtesy of Verena Wu
Juniors Ethel Kim(left) and Verena Wu(right) posing for a picture. Verena plays the violin for Huron’s Symphony orchestra.

Q: Where do you plan on applying for college? Why?

A: “I plan on applying to U of M, obviously, because it’s a good school and I would get in-state tuition. I’m also thinking about applying to UC San Diego because it has a very good marine biology program and I want to go into marine biology.”

Q: What is your favorite thing to do outside of school? Sports, clubs?

A: “My favorite thing to do outside of school is to run with Huron’s cross country team, play hockey, soccer, and participate in HOSA and Green Team. HOSA is really interesting because my event is Biomedical Debate, and I get to research different topics that I normally wouldn’t, and my team and I have to think of creative arguments for a certain side in a debate.”

Q: What do you think is the best place to eat outside of campus?

A: “I’m not sure about the best place to eat outside of campus, but I’d probably go to CoCo the most, even though that’s not really food, because it’s pretty close to Huron and I’m in love with bubble tea.”

Courtesy of Verena Wu
Juniors Verena Wu(left) and Ethel Kim(right) at a HOSA competition.

Q: What club do you think can make a difference at our school?

A: “I think that Green Team can make a difference at our school. Green Team takes on projects that help Huron become more environmentally friendly. Although some projects only involve Huron, they do spread awareness about environmental issues that students can take into account in their everyday lives. Some projects include a battery drive, trash pickups, and Tech Twilight, a Hands on Museum exhibition where Green Team members taught elementary schools about recycling.”

Q: What can we do as a student body to make Huron a better place?

A: “As a student body, we could make Huron a better place by being more accepting of those who don’t get the best grades or succeed in classes the way that other students would. I think that a lot of stress that students experience comes from the pressure of getting into the “big name” colleges or comparing your grades to someone else’s and I do admit that I am guilty of this.”

Q: Describe your year so far in one word?

A: “Chaotic.”

Q: Who has been your favorite teacher or class? Why?

A: “My favorite class has been AP Chem. It’s a really interesting subject, the class isn’t boring at all because the teacher is very engaging, and I enjoy the challenge of the class. The lab sessions have also been great experiences for me because they give me experience with lab and it’s hands-on which I really like.” 

Juniors Verena Wu (left) and Kristin Thorsdottir (right) posing.

Q: What is the best experience that you’ve had at Huron (or worst)?

A: “I can’t think of one that really stands out from all the others, but I think some of the best experiences have been with people that I met at Huron because so many of them have made me who I am today.”

Special thanks to junior Verena Wu!