The Emery

The Emery

The Emery

The Latest from the Emery’s Twitter

Junior Jumpstart Monday: Katya Mendez-Reyes

Katya smiles for a picture from her mirror

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: I have a lot of artistic hobbies. I crochet, paint, draw, and do nails specifically gel x nails.

Q: What is one class/club you would recommend to underclassmen? Why?

A: To every younger classmen I would recommend taking personal finance because it helps you learn about money and how to manage your money. It’s important to start learning about your finances earlier in life so you can have a better chance to be more successful.

Q: What’s an interesting/unique fact about yourself?

A: I don’t have any interesting facts about myself just that I lived in Guatemala with my dads side of the family when I was younger.

Q: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

A:  In ten years I will be successful I will have a job that is fulfilling and it keeps me financially stable. I hope that my job will be one that will help other people and contribute to something good in the world. I also see myself being a plant mom. I just wanna have tons of plants everywhere in my house. I will have my own garden. In ten years I hope to be successful not just materialistically but also emotionally.

Q: How do you feel about starting Junior year and why?

A: I feel anxious because I see all these other people that are in AP and DP classes and I feel like I’m not doing enough because I’m not taking those classes. I’m also anxious because the SAT test is this year and I feel like I’m underprepared for it. I don’t know what I wanna do in college yet and that stresses me out a lot but I’m excited to be a junior because I will have more opportunities to be a better person and mature. I’m excited to have new experiences this year.

Q: Who is your idol and why?

A: I know this is gonna sound corny but I really look up to my mom. She is a single mom but I feel like that makes her more of an idol for me because she is very hard working and has always been really determined and disciplined with her work. Not only that but she is also so kind to others and seeing her be like that inspires me to be independent and kind.

Q: What is one lesson high school has taught you?

A: I learned that things aren’t always gonna change by themselves. What I mean is that you want to see change you have to take action. I know that it sounds like common sense but I didn’t understand it until I got to high school and I wanted to be a different person and be better I had to take action to change.