Alexis Dionne: Defending to the end

The entire Skyron hockey team, made up of members from Huron and Skyline, taking a selfie dressed for a game.

Hana Hughes, Social Media Editor

A picture of Dionne’s finger after it was hit by the hockey puck, provided by Alexis Dionne.

Senior captain Alexis Dionne was prepared to do anything to secure the win for Huron-Skyline’s women’s hockey team.
Anything, it turned out, meant fracturing her pinky finger while blocking a shot on her goalie.
It happened in the last 10 seconds of the Huron-Skyline v. Walled Lake women’s hockey game Sunday. As she defended against Walled Lake’s defenseman, the puck hit Dionne’s pinky finger and crushed it against her stick. Her finger broke.
“My first instinct was to grab my hand because of the pain,” Dionne said. “At first, I didn’t think that I broke it. I thought I had a really bad bruise.”Dionne plays as a forward, usually left-wing or right-wing. She scored two goals against Walled Lake before her pinky was broken. Sophomore Kate Hurley also scored a goal that bounced off of a foot. The final score was 6-4, with a win for Huron.
Dionne is the only senior from Huron on the Skyron team and she plans on continuing to play hockey after high school. She will have to sit out the next few games due to the injury, but she is still looking forward to the rest of the season.